Grilled Sea Scallops with Grilled Romaine and Citrus Salad
Our Blackened Organic Seafood Seasoning creates a caramelized sear on these succulent scallops, while lightly charred romaine introduces salad to the goodness of grilling.
For the Grilled Scallops:
- 20 large sea scallops (approximately 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon Frontier® Blackened Organic Seafood Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the Grilled Romaine Salad:
- 2 hearts of romaine, washed and dried
- 11⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 11⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Frontier® dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Frontier® salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Frontier® ground black pepper
For the Dressing:
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1 grapefruit, segmented
- 1 avocado, pit removed and sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 teaspoon Frontier® Kosher salt
- Frontier® ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your grill. Real wood charcoal tastes best, but gas works fine. Avoid instant-light briquettes as they make food taste like lighter fluid. Aim for medium-high heat – if your grill lid has a thermometer built into the lid, it should read about 375 degrees.
- Pat scallops dry and toss in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Coat with Blackened Organic Seafood Seasoning.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 11⁄2 tablespoons olive oil, red wine vinegar, dried oregano, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Cut the romaine hearts in half lengthwise and brush with vinaigrette.
- Grill the romaine, cut side down, for 2 minutes, until it starts to brown. Flip and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes to get some color on it. Transfer to a plate.
- Grill scallops for 3 minutes. Using tongs, flip the scallops and cook for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, depending on the size of the scallops. Set them aside on a plate.
- In a bowl, whisk together the honey, lime juice, cilantro, 1 teaspoon Kosher salt and 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper until combined.
- To make the salad, plate each romaine wedge and top with citrus segments and sliced avocado. Drizzle dressing over salad.
- Add 5 scallops to each plate next to the salad and serve.
Frontier Blackened Seafood Seasoning
Our sourcing commitments don't just support overseas projects — 1% of sales of our Organic Seafood Seasonings goes to fund American wetlands restoration. Our Blackened Organic Seafood Seasoning combines the savory flavor of a classic seafood seasoning with the spicy heat of New Orleans.
Ginger-Honey Glazed Grilled Salmon with Carrot and Miso Slaw
Give grilled salmon an Asian flare with a zippy glaze of ginger, honey and citrus.
Grilled Blackened Shrimp Skewers
A spicy-sweet glaze of Blackened Organic Seafood Seasoning and honey is accented by savory garlic, a twist of lime and a hint of rum on these grilled shrimp skewers.
How to Grill Salmon
With a flavorful marinade, grilled salmon can be both complex in taste and simple in preparation. Learn how to grill salmon with this four-step, no-flip method below.